Tuesday, May 27, 2008
If you are my friend, you wouldn't do this
It's a long story. If I don't type it out now, I won't have the mood to type it another time. Here goes my long-winded story.
~Background~
I met this ex-colleague when I was doing a part-time job. Let's call her X. She is a very nice and friendly gal, we got along pretty well when we were working. We promised to look for part-time jobs together for the next few semester holidays.
~For the past 2 years~
X always finds a job first and will recommend me to her workplace. But we never get to work together because I didn't like the job or I already got another job offer. So we only keep in contact via msn, hp, etc. We never meet up at all.
~December 2007~
After graduation, I was thinking of meeting up with X, since we didn't see each other for 2 years. So I initiated the meetup. X was ok with it. Then, just before the day we are supposed to meet, X sms me
"Hey, I don't think I can meet you tomorrow because my friend jio me to go Isetan sale."
Wah, my point of view is, I am less important than an Isetan sale! And we didn't even meet up once for 2 whole years! So I thought maybe she didn't want to meet-up but agreed to do so out of courtesy or she dunno how to reject. So, my initiation stops here.
Then, she proposed to change our meet-up to the following saturday. So I agreed, thinking since she proposed to change and perhaps she might be willing to meet-up after all. (If you don't want to meet that person, you wouldn't even propose another date, am i right?)
Just before the day to meet (AGAIN!), she sms me
"Hey, I am sick, I can't meet you tomorrow."
Well, fine. I give her the benefit of doubt. And she didn't propose another date this time. So my conclusion is I won't be meeting up with her anymore and I don't really treat her as a friend, just an acquaintance, that's all.
~May 2008~
A few days ago, I got a call from this Spa consultant. He said he got my number from X and is giving me a complimentary spa because of blah blah blah.
I was unhappy.
1) X didn't tell me she gave my number to the spa consultant
2) I don't like people giving my number to others without permission. If it is urgent or I know that person, I don't mind. But giving my number to a spa consultant is not ethical.
3) I don't know if it is a scam, e.g. X will earn commission or receive free gifts if I sign up for any packages with the Spa outlet. I don't mind if X wants those freebies but just let me know, if I can I won't mind helping.
So, to quickly end the pushy call from the Spa consultant, I made an appointment with him tonight at 8pm.
I forgot all about that appointment and was still in the office at that time. Then, the spa consultant called, so I got my guy colleague to pick up the call and say it's a wrong number.
Then X called twice. She didn't believe that I change my number so quickly and probed my guy colleague with questions that will reveal that it's a prank. X said things like:
"Are you her boyfriend?"
"Are you sure this is a wrong number?"
"Why angela change her number and didn't tell me?"
"Which mobile shop you got this number from?"
"I messaged this number yesterday and angela replied" <-- She lied! She didn't even messaged me and still dare to say I replied!!!
I went online when I reach home. X immediately bombarded me with messages and nudged me on msn. X narrated the entire situation to me over msn and I simply feign ignorance. So I took the chance to tell her off. I said:
"If you treat me as a friend, you wouldn't give my number to your spa consultant without my permission"
"Even if you did give my number, at least inform me about it"
She apologized about it but she is still sore about the wrong number incident. And so, she asked:
X == "Were you with your bf just now?"
Me == "Nope"
X == "The guy that picked up the phone sounds like your bf"
Me == "How do you know how my bf sounds like?"
X == "I think I heard before"
Me == "I don't think so, you have never met my bf before"
SHE WAS LOST FOR WORDS! Hey, stop lying lei. Obviously the guy who picked up the phone is my colleague and she said she heard my bf voice before when she don't even know him!!!
Then she asked the next most absurd thing.
X == So how are you? Are you still staying with your bf?
Me == Staying with my bf?
X == Yes, I remember you said that before
Me == Nope, I am not staying with my bf. Never did.
Oh come on! I told Ted about the entire conversation. He commented that X is having amnesia. Haha.
~The end of my story~
Whatever it is, I won't regard such a person as a friend. At first I felt sad that she chose Isetan sale rather than meet up with me. But now I don't feel anything. I find this entire incident very amusing.
I hope I won't get to know such people in the future.
Posted by Angela at 11:40 PM