Sunday, September 28, 2008
Outdated Post : Mid-Autumn Festival
Please note that it is not called Mooncake Festival or Lantern Festival. It is actually Mid-Autumn Festival! I have an Indian colleague who is part of the committee in organising small events and he sent out emails with the header "Lets celebrate Mooncake Festival!" Oh gosh, stop educating people in the wrong way, especially when there are many non-chinese in my project. Cant stand it.
Anyway back to my story, Mid-Autumn Festival is 1 of the chinese festivals that I don't really fancy.
Firstly, I am too old to play lanterns and sparkles already which I love to when I was young. Secondly, I don't like to eat mooncakes, especially the snowskin kind. I prefer the traditional baked mooncakes with eggyolks. But if I'm given a choice, I wont eat any.
1 month ago, I know that the Mid-Autumn Festival is approaching but because of the above reasons, I think that it is just like any normal day to me. But I guess I am easily influenced by the people around me.
1 week before the Mid-Autumn Festival, there was a Mooncake bazaar from various big hotels / restaurants (Goodwood Park, Marriott Hotel, Meridien, Conrad, Four Seasons, Tung Lok etc) nearby my office. My colleagues were excited about it and wanted to go to that bazaar because there is 10%-30% discount for the mooncakes. They ask me to bring my wallet along just in case I wanna buy anything, and so I brought my wallet along thinking to myself I wont buy any cause I don't like to eat them.
There was a HUGE crowd at the bazaar. All the OL were buying mooncakes as though they were free! Each box of mooncakes (4 only) costs about $30-$50 (after discount). Then my colleagues started saying that Goodwood park durian mooncakes are really nice and they are sold at $40+ after discount and they wanted to buy for their family and their partner's family.
I thought maybe that was a good idea cause I've never bought mooncakes for my family and my bf's family. But I had no cash at that time and so I chose to go for lunch first and withdraw some cash before returning for the purchase.
Guess what? It was sold out when I return from lunch! There was no pre-ordering and the next bazaar will be 5 days later. Gosh, I was disappointed. But nvm, I will wait for 5days.
Finally the day for the bazaar has come. I specially went early to queue. Yes, I saw the queue and was happily queueing until my colleague felt something was wrong. There was no sales of mooncakes but rather collection of pre-ordered mooncakes from Goodwood! Boy, I was angry, stupid sales girl from the first bazaar said that there is no pre-order but I can buy my mooncakes from the 2nd bazaar.
Never mind, I decided to call Goodwood Park Hotel to reserve and buy my mooncakes. But!! They have already stopped production and so that means no more mooncakes for me to buy!
Im so fated not to have Goodwood Park durian mooncakes this year. Therefore, I bought Four Seasons durian mooncakes after my colleagues recommendations.
So, this is what I bought:

The pink one was for bf's family and the green one was for my own family.

The mooncake while defrosting. Overall I think the durian is pretty yummy. It is real durian flesh and not processed durian. But I find the snowskin abit too thick, otherwise it will have been nicer.
This is so weird that I was so busy queueing and talking about mooncakes this year when I actually don't fancy this festival that much. Things about myself are difficult to predict especially when I have colleagues influencing me here and there. Tsk~
Conclusion: I MUST buy Goodwood Park durian mooncakes next year!
Posted by Angela at 5:06 PM