Thursday, May 22, 2014


Hospital experience in Mt Alvernia

We managed to get the single ward for the 3D2N stay. There is a sofa bed for Ted to sleep on. Room was spacious enough.

For the first night, papa mummy kia hua gf visited us. It was so exciting and fun sharing the stories with them. They went to the nursery to take a look at baby but she was bathing at that time. It feels good to see that there is so much love surrounding our little baby girl.

I was still feeling numbness in my legs but it is starting to wear off. Baby was brought to me for breastfeeding as and when she is hungry. After the first feed and sending her back to the nursery made me miss her alot! I couldnt get back to sleep after that. Thereafter with each breastfeeding I will let her stay with me for a while before I send her back to the nursery.

Some time in the middle of the night I was woken up by pain. It was the stitches pain that comes on after epidural effect went off. Took some pain killers and went back to sleep. In addition I was also bleeding like crazy but this is all normal from what I know.

The food in Mt Alvernia was good. There was a variety for you to choose from. Even Ted has 3 meals provided daily too. So I felt that the companion charges is value for money.

The nurses were very prompt in their service and shared tips with me except for the last day when I think there was a sudden influx of births and as a result they forget some of my requests.

Sister, jiefu and 2 boys visited us on the 2nd day and they took so many pictures of baby.  Da da gu gu came with kin kin ma ma and im joo. They bought a flower basket with bird nest drink together with xiao xiao gu gu and gave an ang bao.

On the day of check out, baby has a high level of jaundice 16.1. I believe is because I am not producing much milk for baby to flush it out. I was quite sad and wanted to stay 1 more night for breastfeeding. However I was reluctant to give formula milk but Ted reminded me that the objective is for baby to flush out all the bilirubin so that she can go home. In the end we authorised them to give formula milk as supplements.

Baby went for phototherapy. It feels sad to see her crying on the therapy machine because she is hungry. If I am to be given 1 more chance I will have opted for formula milk earlier.

I met up with the lactation consultant twice and my boobs are very engorged with clogged ducts. Based on theory we had to massage before letting baby suckle but oh man the massage was damn painful and strong in order to clear the ducts. I was also not getting baby to latch on properly and got sore nipples. Baby is suckling but could not get much milk because it is all blocked. Furthermore as a jaundice baby she is very tired and will fall asleep after some suckling so I had much difficulties and it can get demoralising sometimes. I learnt a lot from the consultants but I still need more practice.

I was discharged on the 4th day but baby couldnt come home with us because the jaundice level drop to 12.1. It is still better to stay for 1 more day. I went home first so that I can bathe and rest. Later that night we delivered the expressed milk to baby. After pumping 2 sessions for an hour each, it could only satisfy baby for 1 feed. So sad.

Finally on the 5th day Dr Simon Ng say that we can bring baby home as the jaundice level drop to 9.1 however we must keep monitoring if the jaundice comes back. From our point of view she still looks yellow. Will be meeting Dr Simon Ng on the 7th day for follow up.

As for the charges of Mt A, I find that it is very reasonable. We gave a deposit of 3k and my bill charges was 700 and baby's was 300. Of course there were medisave deductions thats why our bill can be so low. I will highly recommend anyone who is giving birth to choose Mt A.

On the 7th day we went to Dr Simon Ng's clinic. He wasn't around when we reach. We were told that he had an emergency case to attend to. He was an hour late and moreover there are alot of babies waiting for him so this means more waiting for us.

When it's our turn, Dr Simon Ng say the jaundice looks ok. It will go away in 2 to 3 wks time. He commented that the umbilical cord is well clean. Thanks to my confinement nanny. Baby is eating well n stools are mustard in colour. She has also regained the weight that she lost. She was 3.1kg when being measured.

Thereafter he went through with us on some tips for baby and the vaccination required. However I find that he went through so fast and I couldn't understand the vaccination part. I believe he is like that because he is rushed for time. Thereafter when we are about to leave, confinement nanny was trying to swaddle baby but he ask us to do it outside. =(

Anyhow I hate the wait. During the hospital stay we had to wait. During the clinic visit we had to wait. So we will contemplate to change a paediatrician for baby. I guess our baby deserves better service =)

Posted by Angela at 11:36 AM