Wednesday, May 21, 2014


The day Ted and I become parents

The eventful day was on 17th May 2014.

Let's backtrack a little to 3 days before.

I started my maternity leave on 14th May which was the estimated delivery date. Nothing happened for that day. I was anxious and was hoping to feel some contractions soon. However still nothing happen on the 15th and 16th. Gynae suggested to induce on 17th 8am if there is still no signs. I did not want to be induce because it means baby is not ready to be born and induction is more painful. I was feeling frustrated and upset and Ted suggested a nice dinner on 16th. We had butter crabs at Mellben. =)

Finally we went to bed with a heavy stomach and a heavy heart, setting the alarm at 6am. However I was woken up by contractions at 4am. This kind of pain was never experienced before. It came from the lower back and took over all my senses. I was afraid it is a false alarm so I started to time the contractions. It was so regular at 8 mins interval. I quickly got up and went to bathe.

I discovered I had pinkish red discharge as well so it is a definite sign of labour. During showering there were some fluid discharge but I thought it was just the shower.

Quickly woke Ted to prepare and we went for our final breakfast at McDonald's. The contractions got slightly more intense that I gotta stop and concentrate on breathing before I can finish my meal.

Reached hospital at 630pm and was glad that the delivery suite was relatively empty. I changed into the robe and nurse hook me up to the machine to measure contractions.  It was 7 mins apart.

Then soapy water was given to me via the anal and within 5 mins I went to poo. They ask me to hold on longer till 10mins if I can but im afraid I might shatter before I reach the toilet so I better not risk it. I think this is the perfect remedy for constipation!

Thereafter the nurse check that my cervix was dilated till 3cm which was a good news. Dr Tan came over and check as well. I dislike the checking of cervix dilation as it is quite painful, the area was too tender for any touch. Dr Tan said he wants to break the water bag for me because I was unsure if my water bag is broken. However after checking he confirm that it is already broken which I wasnt aware of. I believe it was during the time I was showering when it happened.

While using the breathing techniques to control the pain, Dr Tan mentioned that it will get more n more painful after he tried to break my water bag. Oh my God!! I'm already in pain and it is gonna get worse? Dr Tan suggested using the laughing gas and tell the nurse when I want the epidural.

So Ted ask me to monitor for an hour. If the pain gets worse he will inform the nurse for epidural. Indeed! It got unbearable! The contractions are closer apart which means I got less time to relax and each duration of the contraction pain gets longer and longer. To me the gas mask doesnt help at all, maybe I dont know how to use it well.

So at around 10am I told Ted I cannot take it anymore. Heck it right? Im gonna take it anyway might as well take it earlier. So the nurse was preparing and the anaesthetic Dr Chan came over. I was so glad when I saw him!

I was asked to lie very close to the edge of the bed on my left side and curled up like a kitten. While preparing I was also reaching for the gas mask for help! Oh God! Dr Chan say he will start when the contraction is over.

I heard that taking epidural was painful so I was expecting it. He poke the needle into my spine, send an electric current and spray cold mist on my back. The whole procedure took less than 1 min! I was then hooked up to the machine. He told me it will take effect in 10 to 20mins time and my feet started to feel a tingling numbing sensation. As for the epidural pain, it was really NOTHING worth mentioning! I duno why people mention it is painful. Maybe the anaesthetic was not skilled? But im glad Dr Chan did everything so fast that I didnt know it was already over when he's done.

Yay! I am very happy with the epidural. No more pain and I can even sleep. The contractions are closer apart and the level of pain is off the charts but I dont feel anything! Hooray!

At about 3pm the nurses and midwife came in to ask me to start pushing. Im like "huh? Push what? Cannot feel anything leh". So they got me to try and try but they say its not working. So at about 4plus they say they gonna reduce my epidural and I got abit freaked out. Am I gonna experience that contractions again?!?!?! But the nurse say its just more sensation and wont be that painful. She is right! More sensation and more feeling which means I can finally push baby out!

While trying to push the nurse say im doing it incorrectly as my face is all flushed which should not be. I should be pushing it below and not above. After a long while of pushing and vomitting due to epidural side effects, baby head is more visible and Dr Tan came in.

Then here comes the ultimatum. 1 nurse 1 midwife was helping me push by pressing my stomach so hard! It is good that they help me but somehow it also made me vomitted my breakfast out! Ted told me it was very smelly! Haha. Super gross man! Then Dr Tan did an episiotomy and use the vacuum to suck out baby as I was quite tired already after pushing for so long. The nurse, midwife, Ted and another standby nurse was like cheering me on!

Finally they put baby on my stomach and I was abit stunned. She was already crying and I was abit lost in translation. In the end I just touch her small lil feet and she was taken away to be measured. Ted overseed all the measurements and tagging. Meanwhile Dr Tan was so busy trying to stitch me up. The stitching took 15mins or so but I was looking at baby and Ted and not sure what Dr Tan is doing. From my angle it was just all bloody below.

Then they put baby to my chest and she started to suckle. She was so alert with eyes wide open! After a short while, Dr Tan was done and the nurses help to clean up the room and finally wheeled me to the ward. Ted was wheeling baby to the ward.

Aw! So this is it! Both of us are officially parents on this day 17th May 2014. Baby Jennifer arrived in the evening.

I am so glad and grateful for my hubby. With all his care for the past 10 months including the incredible support on the delivery date that I managed to give birth to our love fruit. Without him, none of this is possible. I love you Teddy!

Posted by Angela at 5:54 AM